DUI Suspect Steals California Highway Patrol Vehicle

  • Mar 18 2015
  • Gilleon Law Firm, APC

california highway patrol vehicle stolenA DUI suspect is now facing more serious charges after stealing a California Highway Patrol vehicle and leading officers on a criminal chase, according to reports.

The incident occurred when an officer responded to a two-car crash on the freeway just off Temecula Parkway. The officer questioned those involved, including Aaron Teruya, 25. CHP Spokesman Officer Mike Lassig stated that, “During the questioning, the CHP officer determined that the suspect had been DUI, and the CHP officer placed Teruya under arrest. From there, the CHP officer handcuffed him, searched him and placed him in the right front seat of the CHP patrol vehicle.” Teruya cooperated throughout the process.

However, when the officer left Teruya in the vehicle to question the other driver, Teruya moved to the driver’s seat of the patrol vehicle. Lassig stated that “the tow truck driver brought it to the officer’s attention that the suspect had moved from the passenger seat to the driver seat… He then then began driving southbound on I-15.” The officer and tow truck driver pursued Teruya in the tow truck and called for backup.

Lassig reported that “the suspect vehicle turned on a dirt road off of Highway 76, and [Teruya] eventually crashed the CHP patrol vehicle, getting high centered on a large rock.” He then set off on foot. CHP officials, officers from the San Diego Sheriff’s Department, helicopters and K9 units searched the area and, “with a joint effort…were able to locate the suspect hiding in the brush area north of SR 76.”

Two hours after he stole the police vehicle, Teruya was taken into custody. He is now facing multiple charges including DUI and vehicle theft. The case is still under investigation.

Hit-and-Run and Personal Injury

While the suspect in the above story was caught, there are many instances when a driver flees the scene of an accident and is not caught. If you are injured by a hit-and-run driver, what can you do to seek compensation for your damages? In a typical personal injury case, you can file a suit against the at-fault driver and their insurance company. However, if you are involved in a hit-and-run, you are left to seek compensation from your own insurance company.

The team at the Gilleon Law Firm, APC are known for our thoughtful case preparation, meticulous evidence and fact-finding and our relentless pursuit of fair compensation for our injured clients. If you have been involved in a hit-and-run, you may fear that compensation is unattainable. Our team of experienced personal injury attorneys are here help you can seek compensation for your damages, even if there is no negligent driver to sue.

Free Initial Consultation